Congratulations on your new tattoo! Quality is truly our commitment, and as such, we would like to review these 10 easy steps with you to ensure your new tattoo heals optimally:
1. Leave your dressing or bandage on for about 2 hours. You may notice some blood product, ink seepage, ink smudging, and sweat buildup, all of which is to be expected during this time. Do not leave on for more than 4-5 hours.
2. Prior to performing the first removal of your dressing, collect the following:
Then: place in clean area and thoroughly wash hands with soap and water.
3. Remove dressing or bandage carefully, avoiding any abrasion to site of tattoo, and discard with note that this now contaminated with blood product.
4. Wash thoroughly with warm water and fragrance-free soap. Do not be alarmed if a “slimy” substance is noted, this is a combination of blood product, sweat, seeped ink, and protein deposits from healing process.
5. Pat dry with clean paper towel and allow to air dry for 30-60 minutes.
6. Apply a thin layer of ointment (Tattoo Goo, fragrance-free lotion, or Aquaphor) so as to minimally moisten the entire area. Please be sure this is done with clean hands and that you do not over-apply ointment as excess ointment will clog pores and thwart the repair process of the skin, resulting in scarring or damage to the ink.
7. For first 72 hours, apply non-stick bandage or plastic wrap. This is to provide a barrier from clothing and to assist in containing bio-materials essential for healing.
8. Keep your tattoo area clean with fragrance-free soap and warm water, and avoid touching with unwashed hands.
9. Continue this process for a total of 14 days
10. During these 14 days it is essential that you do not sunbathe or immerse your tattoo in water (swimming, jacuzzi use, bubble baths, etc.) Myth: ocean water heals your tattoo faster. This poses immense risk of infection and will damage your tattoo! Remember that your ink is now part of your skin, and if your skin is healthy, so is your ink. It is recommended that after the two-week healing process, use of daily lotion and sunscreen when exposed to sun is important.
If you have any questions, your tattoo continues to be swollen past 72 hours, any non-clear drainage is noted, or you simply have any question about your aftercare, please feel free to give us a call at: 330-757-4824, or stop in and let one of our professionals walk you through the process.